There is a lot at stake for the future of young Americans. Even prior to the response to the crisis we are currently facing, both political parties had already placed our nation on an unsustainable fiscal course. In the absence of decisive action from our leaders, one generation of Americans is about to leave the next generations with an unbearable financial burden.
The national debt is more than $25 trillion, soon to exceed the size of our entire economy. There is another $100 trillion in unpaid for promises coming down the pike. Report after report warns of wasteful spending and unsustainable deficits, yet year after year nothing is done by our elected leaders to address them.
If this continues, millennials and generation Z will spend their peak earning years paying for the excesses and promises they had no knowledge of or say in. However, this is not an unsolvable problem. It’s a grand opportunity. But young Americans must start speaking up now.
Pursuit will award four scholarships to incoming Freshmen, Sophomores, or Juniors enrolled in an American university or community college who produce a video (maximum 5 minutes) or write an essay (maximum 2500 words) on one or a combination of the following topics:
- Generational Theft: How the national debt, unfunded liabilities, and generational theft affects your generation.
- Government Accountability: The importance of transparency and oversight in the federal government.
- A Well-Informed Public Through Objective Information: The importance of young Americans engaging in American politics, understanding our history, civics, and free enterprise system, and the value of a well-informed public.
The winners of the essay and video competitions will win a $1,000 scholarship. The runners-ups for each category will win a $500 scholarship.
Entries will be graded on the following criteria:
- 35% Content quality
- 35% Memorable/Creativity
- 20%: Effective solution
- 10%: Production quality
- 35% Understanding/Grasp of topic
- 35% Impact/Persuasiveness and creativity
- 20%: Effective solution
- 10%: Style, grammar, spelling
The deadline to submit your video or essay is August 21st. Scholarship winners will be announced on September 4th.
Check out examples from prior years’ winners below!
Video Winner: This Is Our Future
For more information contact our Executive Director Bryan Berky.
Submit through the form below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and phone number, and put “Scholarship” in the subject line. If your video file size is over 10 MB, you must submit through email.